Magento announced that Magento 1.x is rounding off its support on 30th June 2020 and the announcement was for owners who are using older Magento 1.x versions. Earlier, they announced to finish support in 2018, but as there are thousands of internet sites that are still using Magento1; it will be tough for them to migrate to Magento 2. Understanding the whole calculation, they extended to finish the support for Magento 1 in 2020. If your store is in Magento 1 versions, it is the best time to take a position in Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration before 2020.
The security of a web store contains an immediate impact on your online store achievement. When Magento quits supporting Magento 1, the stage will quit discharging the updates for security patches, and your clients’ information will be compromised.
Here is everything which will helpful for you to know more about the Migration of Magento 2.
Table of Content:
- Need for Magento Migration
- Key Components
- Magento 2 New Features
- Magento 2 Migration Cost & Timeline
- Magento 2 Migration Process
- Major Pitfalls with Magento Migration Process
Now time for the real action! Let’s begin!
Why Magento 2 Migration?
Magento 1 will not release updates about plug-ins and modules from 30th June 2020. Since the migration may be a complex and lengthy project, you ought to start planning the migration within the half-moon of 2019 to possess the migration project thoroughly scoped and quoted beforehand.
Need of Magento 2 Migration Services for Your Ecommerce Site
Before the platform upgradation, it is mandatory to collect all the information about the data; store owners have to relocate and how much information they have to update to their online shop.
At the point when you and team are prepared with the migration plan, you should set the deadline for all aspects of the data migration, depending on their outstanding workload and needs. The lower the customization of your eCommerce site, the easiest it’ll be for your team to build a different platform.
Three Key Components of Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration
To personalized the shopping experience and deliver performance, eCommerce store owners are adopting newer and innovative technologies. To achieve optimization such as changes to themes and customization, there are lots of factors to consider as Magento 1 themes aren’t compatible with Magento 2. The following themes are available in Magento 2:
- Rope Responsive Theme
- Couture Fashion Responsive Theme
- Minimalism Theme
- Instagram Theme
- Modern Print Store Theme
To update Magento 2 Extensions, you simply need to install the following extensions that are readily available on the Magento marketplace.
- Customer Segmentation
- Abandoned Cart Email
- SEO Suite Ultimate
There are lots of eCommerce platform that can securely create a path for moving data by using drag and drop functionalities. In Magento 2 as well, you can migrate data without dropping packets. Media files, storefront design, and access control lists got to be Magento 1 to Magento 2 data migration manually.
Magento 2 New Features
It is easy for new team members to navigate the admin panel. Now admin can customize the dashboard and access the information quickly. So, it is easy for admin to help users improve the productivity of managing products, categories, orders and customers’ data.
- Improved Product Section
To match customers’ needs and wants, updated product selection is helpful for store owners to boost sales. With these features, product variations can now be managed manually or by adding and removing attributes. Also, users can add product data and enable new options for user notifications.
- Improved Checkout
The most significant difference from Magento 1 and Magento 2 that you will notice is – a flow of checkout process.
- Easier Upgrades and Maintenance
The modern and modular architecture provides flexibility to all the stores, so it is necessary to upgrades to Magento 2.
- Secured Payments
Magento 2 has built-in payment integration gateways such as PayPal, Braintree and Authprize.net.
- Backup System
Magento 2 has an exquisite and powerful backup system. Handy commands can be added to the system to make backups. Following are the powers which are available in Magneto 2:
Setup: backup – This command is helpful to take a backup of the Magento application code base and media database.
Setup: rollback – This command helps roll back the Magento application codebase, the media and database.
Info: backup: list – This command helps to prints a list of backup files.
Magento 2 Migration Cost & Timeline
Community Edition and Enterprise edition are the two editions of Magento 2. Magento 2 is the new eCommerce platform for online store merchants and it may be possible that store owners will have to invest a fair amount to get most out of it. The cost to upgrade from Magento 1 to Magento 2 depends on several factors that need to consider before migrating.
The following factors on which you need to think:
- Redesign: The complexity and simplicity of your design are essential for the redesigning of your Magento 2 store.
- Extensions: According to Magento official announcements, Magento will delete all Magento 1 extensions from the marketplace. However, most of the extensions from Magento 1 are available in Magento 2 as well. So, there is no need to search for another extension for Magento 2 store.
- Customization: If you are following custom coding or extensions for your existing Magento 1 store and want to work in the same way, you need to rewrite or refactored.
It is difficult to say how much time it will take to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 without evaluating and proper planning as it depends on lots of factors from your website current status to new requirements. If you start your planning about migration too late, then it may be possible you will face more problems. So, start planning as soon as possible, there are lots of Magento professionals that can help you.
Magento 2 Migration Process:
Magento 2 is considered as a number one choice for eCommerce store merchants due to its features including user-friendly admin, improved indexers, database optimization and user-friendly checkout process. It is mandatory to keep in mind that, if you don’t handle a process with strategic planning, then you may ruin the store functionality, and then it will indirectly decrease your store sales and performance.
If you are planning to carry out the Magento 2 migration process for your store on your own, then you should refer to this simple migration process to get an idea.
The migration process is divided into four stages and you need to follow them:
- Theme Migration
- Extension Migration
- Data Migration
Now, we will learn which process Magento professional follows for migrating Magento 1 store to Magento 2.
- Store Audit: First of all, do an audit of your current website because it will help you to check the current state of the Magento store and that will help you to examine code bottlenecks with integration.
- Store Analysis: It will help you to get an insight into the whole migration process in a more accurate way.
- Feature Listing and Estimation: This phase involves the complete listing of the features required for your store website. If there is any input, then you can find estimations accordingly, including duration and cost.
- Configuring Data Migration: It will help you in proceeding for further processes with configuration data facilities.
- Actual Development: In this phase, developers will work on frontend and backend features for the website, along with all the required functionalities. This phase involves the complete implementation of functionalities along with features.
- Post Development: This is for store owners who want support and maintenance in future if required. A Magento professional assures you of providing the complete development process innovatively to offer a seamless experience.
Major Pitfalls with Magento Migration Process
- Magento 2 data migration is not as easy as dragging and dropping functionality like others. So, to save time and business operations, it is an important point to consider.
- During migration, you’ll run into problems associated with the data structure. So before migrating the store from Magento 1 to Magento 2, you need to do a proper audit.
- It is possible that you can get poor SEO results after Magento migration. As the page structure is different in Magento 2 from Magento 1, Magento professionals need to analyze the pages and categories that need to be redirected to save ranking on search result pages of any search engine.
- As per Magento official announcement, it is not possible to use Magento 1 extension in Magento 2 from now onwards as all the Magento 1 extensions will be deleted from the Magento market place soon.
- After migrating to Magento 2, every store owners need to redesign theme and design from scratch. However, you can restore the old model. If you are upgrading your store, then it is highly recommended that you use new, mobile-friendly, responsive themes and designs.
Once all Magento migration processes are successfully over, don’t forget to check the Magento 2 store thoroughly to make sure that everything functions properly. Hopefully, after reading this detailed guide on Magento 2 Migration process, you have a better understanding of what’s involved in the Magento 2 Migration process. If you need any help migrating your eCommerce website to Magento, you can share your requirements or question with MageAnts.